Creamy Cilantro Jalapeno Ranch makes a bold salad dressing full of Southwestern flavors, but it’s so much more. It’s cool and creamy, but also spicy. It’s fresh and flavorful, but makes use of packaged ranch dip to keep it easy. And it’s ready in just a few minutes with minimal work.
I can’t believe I’ve never shared this recipe on the blog before! Years ago I took pictures of this wonderful homemade dressing to share the recipe with you. I make it pretty often at home, but it wasn’t until I was writing another recipe recently that calls for Creamy Cilantro Jalapeno Ranch that I realized I’d never actually shared it! What a duh moment.
This stuff is so easy to make and there’s literally about a million things you can use it for!
- Tortilla chips
- Fresh veggies
- Chicken strips
- French fries
For salad dressing:
- On any Southwestern based salad
- to make a spiced up version of cornbread salad
- On your favorite taco salad.
For a topping on:
- Or on top of the Southwestern Eggroll Bake that I’ll be sharing next week that’s pictured below!
How to make this dressing:
First you’ll need to prep your fresh ingredients. Carefully slice a fresh jalapeno and toss it in in the blender or food processor. Then measure out about a 1/4 cup tightly packed cilantro.
Don’t worry about the cilantro stems. Cilantro stems actually have just as much flavor as the leaves and this is getting chopped tiny anyway so no one will be able to tell they’re even in there! Add the rest of the ingredients except the buttermilk and give it a whiz or two.
Stir in the buttermilk until you reach the desired consistency. If you’d rather have a thicker dip, feel free to cut back on the buttermilk. That’s all there is to it! Enjoy.
- 3/4 cup Sour Cream* see note
- 3/4 cup Mayonnaise
- 1 packet 1 oz Dry Ranch Dip
- 1/4 teaspoon Cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup Cilantro (or more depending on your preferences)
- 1-2 fresh Jalapenos, cut in slices *see note
- 1/2 cup Buttermilk
- Place all the ingredients except the buttermilk into a food processor or blender.
- Pulse a few times to blend while leaving chunks of jalapeno and cilantro, or blend continuously to make completely smooth.
- Stir in buttermilk until you reach the desired consistency,
- Store covered in an airtight container in the fridge.
* Plain Greek yogurt can be substituted for the sour cream.
*Discard the jalapeno seeds to cut back on the spice level.