Southwestern Egg Roll Bake has all the taste of Southwestern Egg Rolls with a fraction of the work! This easy main dish casserole is a play on one of my favorite appetizers.
I love egg rolls of about any variety, but I don’t really like making them at home. It’s time consuming and messy and greasy. Basically any time I make something that’s individually fried it’s a labor of love towards whoever I’m cooking for.
My Southwestern Egg Roll Bake starts with boneless skinless chicken breasts that are chopped into bite sized pieces and seasoned with garlic powder, chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper.
I love cooking casseroles in my cast iron skillet because you can easily go from stovetop to oven. I got this one for under $40 on Amazon and I use it all the time. It makes this Southwestern Egg Roll Bake a breeze. A 30 minute, one pan main dish recipe!
Brown the chicken in a large skillet for 3-5 minutes and then add a chopped bell pepper, any color works, and a ¼ cup of chopped onion.
Give it another 3-5 minutes of cooking until the onion begins to soften. Next we’ll add one can of drained and rinsed black beans, a cup and a half of frozen corn, and one can of Rotel. I personally prefer the lime and cilantro Rotel, but feel free to use whatever you like.
Bring it to a simmer. If you don’t have an oven proof skillet, transfer the filling to a 9×13 baking dish. Sprinkle a cup of Colby Jack cheese over the top and a bag of crispy wonton strips over the cheese.
These crispy wonton strips make this dish what it is! Look for them by the croutons in the salad dressing aisle at the grocery store. If you can’t find wonton strips, crushed tortilla chips will work, but it definitely loses that Southwestern Egg Roll taste and turns more into just a Southwestern casserole.
Place the casserole in the oven at 375 degrees and bake it for 20 minutes. The tops of the wonton strips should be slightly browned.
We love to eat this casserole topped with Cilantro Jalapeno Ranch, just like the appetizer.
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, about 1 pound
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup onion , diced
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn
- 1 (10 ounce) can rotel with lime and cilantro
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup shredded Colby Jack cheese
- 1 (4 ounce) bag wonton strips
- Creamy Cilantro Jalapeno Ranch
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large oven proof skillet, such as cast iron, heat one tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat. Add the chicken to the pan and sprinkle the seasonings over the chicken. Cook and stir for 3-5 minutes.
- Add the diced bell pepper and onion and cook another 3-5 minutes or until the onion has softened and chicken is completely cooked through.
- Next add the black beans, corn and rotel to the skillet. Bring the mixture to a simmer.
- Sprinkle the shredded cheese over the mixture and then top with the entire bag of wonton strips.
- Place in the oven and bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes or until the edges are bubbling and the wonton strips have begun to turn golden brown on the top.
- Serve this Southwestern Egg Roll Bake plain or with Creamy Cilantro Jalapeno Ranch on top.
Accidental Happy Baker is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases at amazon .com at no additional cost to you.