This easy cannoli dip tastes like classic cannoli, goes together in just a few minutes and makes a great party snack.
A few years ago I was lucky enough to get homemade fresh cannoli at a graduation reception, talk about heaven! Italians know their desserts. Up to that point, I’d lived my whole life thinking that I didn’t like ricotta cheese, only knowing it as the kind of odd textured and powdery cheese in lasagna. I wholeheartedly admit that I was was wrong. Ricotta shines in cannoli–creamy, flavorful, and sweet, I was immediately hooked.
Unfortunately, I live in an area where cannoli shells are impossible to find and homemade cannoli shells seem really involved to make from scratch. So I turned to the next best thing…cannoli dip! I say next best thing, but cannoli dip is arguably just as good, maybe better than the real thing. Cannoli dip has all the sweet cheesy goodness, flavor and texture of cannoli. It comes together in just a few minutes, and can be even be served with gluten free options like fruit. My favorite is spreading this dip over broken waffle cones.
My version of this classic is a little bit different than other cannoli dip recipes because in addition to the cream cheese, ricotta and sugar, it uses instant vanilla pudding mix. In my quest to recreate the texture of my friend’s cannoli, I found that most cannoli dip recipes I tried turned out too thin and runny and all the chocolate chips sunk to the bottom. The addition of the pudding makes a thicker dip, almost like a spread. Next time you’re pressed for time and need to bring a treat to a party, try this dip!
Easy Cannoli Dip
This easy cannoli dip tastes like classic cannoli, goes together in just a few minutes and makes a great gluten free party option.
- 1 15 ounce container ricotta cheese
- 1 8 ounce block cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup confectioners sugar
- 1 small box instant vanilla pudding
- 3/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, beat together the ricotta, cream cheese and vanilla.
- Gradually beat in the powdered sugar and pudding mix until completely blended.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Serve with broken waffle cone pieces, pizzelle cookies, graham crackers, strawberries or other fresh fruit.