This content has been sponsored by Inmar Intelligence and Midwest Dairy. All opinions are mine alone. #UndeniablyDairy #gotmilkrecipe
Cinnamon Apple French Toast Casserole is the perfect make ahead breakfast! Loaded with baked apples and topped with cinnamon streusel, it’s a recipe you’ll come back to time after time.
Is there anything quite so comforting and homey as the smell of cinnamon baked apples? If you agree with me on this point, you’re going to love this hearty breakfast casserole. Everything about this French toast casserole is easy and comforting. From the milk to the apples to the eggs and butter this is one recipe that really makes you appreciate your local farmers. I live in a rural area where farming is one of our biggest industries and is the livelihood of many of my friends and neighbors, so it’s fun for me to be able to support them by doing my favorite thing– Baking and eating!
When I was in kindergarten, my very first school field trip ever was to a classmate’s family dairy farm where we got to try fresh cartons of milk from the dairy cows they raised. We also got to meet the cows! Things have changed a little bit since then. Did you know that due to innovative farming practices, improved feed and genetics, and modern farm designs, the environmental impact of producing a gallon of milk in 2017 shrunk significantly, requiring 30% less water, 21% less land and a 19% smaller carbon footprint than it did in 2007?
That’s great news, because dairy foods like milk, cheese and butter provide powerful nutrients our growing kids need. Three of the nutrients found in dairy –vitamin A, vitamin D and protein –are essential for a healthy immune function. It’s easy to sneak more dairy into your family’s diet by adding milk and other dairy products to your cooking and baking. Just pick up a gallon of milk at your local grocery store and get to baking! I purchased the milk for this recipe today at my local Hy-Vee store.
Click below to grab all the ingredients needed for this recipe!
Looking for recipe ideas?
Click here for more recipes.
For this recipe you’ll need:
- A loaf of crusty bread
- Chopped apples (2 large)
- Whole Milk
- Dark brown sugar, (light brown can be used, I just like the caramel notes of the dark brown)
- All purpose flour
How to make Cinnamon Apple French Toast Casserole
- You’ll start by greasing a 9×13 inch casserole pan.
- Cut or tear your bread into chunks and put them in the pan and then layer the chopped apples over the bread. This is a great step to have the kids help with!
- Next you’ll whisk together the eggs and whole milk with the sugars, vanilla, and cinnamon. Whole milk will keep the French toast creamy.
- Pour the milk mixture over the top of the bread and apples making sure the top of the bread is evenly coated, cover it with foil and put it in the fridge. It will need to sit overnight or at least 6 hours so that the bread cubes can really soak up that milk mixture.
- I like to go ahead and make up the streusel next by just smushing the ingredients together in a plastic food-safe bag and throwing that in the fridge by the casserole. That way the next morning all I have to do is sprinkle it on and bake! So easy.
- 1 loaf French bread, cut into cubes
- 3 cups chopped apples (approximately 2 large apples)
- 8 large eggs
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup flour
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- Grease a 9x13 casserole dish with nonstick baking spray.
- Layer the bread cubes and apples in the bottom of the baking dish.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, granulated sugar, dark brown sugar, vanilla extract, and cinnamon. Pour this mixture evenly over the bread cubes and apples.
- Cover the casserole and put it in the fridge overnight or let it sit in the fridge for at least 6 hours to allow time for the milk to soak into the bread.
- Add the streusel ingredients to a large ziploc bag and smush together to combine. Put this in the fridge with the casserole until time to bake.
- When ready, preheat the casserole to 350 degrees. Bake the French toast casserole for 35-40 minutes. Then remove it from the oven and sprinkle the struesel over the top. Continue baking for another 5-10 minutes or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Serve warm with maple syrup.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 390Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 149mgSodium: 371mgCarbohydrates: 57gFiber: 2gSugar: 31gProtein: 11g
*Nutrition facts are an estimate and not guaranteed to be accurate. Please see a registered dietitian for special diet advice.
I hope that your family will love this easy make ahead breakfast, it’s one of our favorites. What’s your favorite baking recipe that relies on milk?
Pin it to save for later!