Malibu Muffins are full of pineapple, coconut, maraschino cherries, and a hint of rum flavor for a breakfast treat that packs the flavor of summer days sitting beach side.
It might seem wrong to make breakfast with the flavors of a cocktail, but one bite of these Malibu muffins and I think you’ll change your mind. These fun muffins are loaded with pineapple, coconut, maraschino cherries, and hints of rum, just like a Malibu Sunset cocktail, hence the name Malibu Muffins.
A couple weeks ago I helped with a Muffins in the Morning event at my son’s school. These events always seem to be held right around mother’s day, along with 12 billion other end of the school year events. I didn’t make the muffins for my son’s school event, but if I had, I would have made these–they have the taste of lazy summer days baked right into them! I am so looking forward to some lazy summer days, aren’t you?
These muffins rely on pantry ingredients like canned crushed pineapple and jarred maraschino cherries, but you can substitute 1 cup of fresh and finely diced pineapple if you’d prefer.
When mixing up the batter for these Malibu Muffins it will be thick, but the juice from the pineapple and cherries releases as they are baked, giving them a wonderful fruity and moist texture.
I pressed halved maraschino cherries and extra coconut into the tops before baking to give them a fun, summery vibe, but this is completely optional. If you want to make yours in cheerful yellow polka dot cupcake liners, they are available over on Amazon. I think they really complete the summery vibe.
If you love these flavors, then you’ll also love my Pina Colada Banana bread. Be sure to check it out too!
- 1/4 cup butter, softened to room temp
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup sour cream or plain greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon rum extract
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 8 ounce can crushed pineapple, drained
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1/4 cup chopped maraschino cherries
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and prepare a muffin tin with paper liners or nonstick baking spray.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugar. Add the egg, sour cream, and rum extract. Mix well. Next add the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir until it's just combined.
- Add the drained crushed pineapple, coconut, and chopped maraschino cherries and stir in.
- Fill each cup of the muffin tin 2/3 full with batter. If desired, press half a maraschino cherry into the top of each muffin along with a sprinkle of shredded coconut before baking.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 20-22 minutes or until golden brown on top and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove to a wire rack to cool.
Pin it for later!
Did you make this recipe?
Please leave a comment or review below! I’d also love to see what you’ve been making on Instagram or Facebook.
Accidental Happy Baker is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases at amazon.com.