Apple cinnamon bars are part apple blondie and part gooey cinnamon coffee cake. This no fuss recipe yields a dessert with crispy cinnamon brown sugar edges that enfold a gooey apple pecan center. Top it with ice cream for an over the top end to your favorite meal.
I should be embarrassed to tell you what these apple bars are called in my house. My boys have lovingly dubbed this recipe, “apple crap.” And because it has apples and pecans in it, they would tell you it’s a healthy option to eat any time of the day. Even for breakfast! (They obviously can’t be trusted with nutritional information.)
These apple bars really are a one bowl, no fuss recipe perfect for using up those fresh fall apples. You don’t even have to peel the apples!
Now I know some people get kind of persnickety about whether to peel apples for baked goods or not and say that apple skins can become tough in things with tender textures like apple cakes. I would argue that apple skins add so much color to the finished product, lend a rustic feel, and are also the most vitamin packed part of the fruit.
But really, I”m just lazy. Peel your apples or don’t. Either way will be fine for these easy apple bars.
For this recipe you will need:
- Dark brown sugar
- White sugar
- All purpose flour
- Baking powder
- Chopped pecans
For my friends who always ask about substitutions, yes, light brown sugar works just fine in this recipe. I just like the richness dark brown sugar adds. Dark brown sugar has a higher molasses content which lends more of a caramel-like flavor to baked goods and suits apples so well. If you’ve never tried it this is a great place to start. I’d love hear what you think and if you can taste the difference.
In addition, if you need a substitution for the nuts, walnuts make a great substitute for the pecans. And if you’re just going wild, try chopped fresh pears instead of apples for a fun change!
More Dessert Bar Recipes You’ll Love:
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 6 Tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped apple
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and prepare a 9 x 13 baking pan with nonstick spray.
- In a mixing bowl, mix together the melted butter, dark brown sugar, white sugar, eggs, cinnamon and vanilla until smooth.
- Add the flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir until just combined.
- Stir in the chopped apples and pecans.
- Spread in the prepared 9x13 pan and bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes or until the top is golden brown and slightly springs back when touched.
- Allow to cool before cutting.
This recipe has been adapted from Allrecipes.com