Chili dog pizza? You better believe it! Pizza dough is topped with chili, sliced hot dogs and shredded cheese for a quick and easy leftover makeover your whole family will love.
Do you love chili dogs? Then you’ll love this fun recipe twist. Chili dog pizza takes classic chili dog ingredients and turns them into a whole new way to enjoy this kid friendly favorite!
I knew last week when I shared the recipe for Copycat Wendy’s Chili that I was going to use the leftovers to make this fun pizza. This is one of our family’s favorite leftover makeover meals.
I normally don’t give a story that goes along with a recipe. But this chili dog pizza actually does have a story!
Many years ago my husband and I were teaching Sunday school for a group preschoolers. We asked the kids what they were going to have for lunch. One of them said he was going to have hot dog pizza. We laughed, but then my husband turned to me and said what if you made chili dog pizza.
- The pizza crust would replace the bun.
- The chili would be the sauce.
- The hot dogs would be cut thin like pepperoni.
- Top it with melted cheddar cheese or Colby Jack, chopped onions and jalapenos and it would taste just like a chili dog, except you would get a bit of everything and each bite.
- And it would be way less messy.
And that’s how this recipe was born. At the suggestion of a 4 year old!
This is one of our family’s favorite recipes. It’s so easy to make with leftover chili, but you can also used canned chili. 4 ingredients. Under 30 minutes. It’s my favorite way to eat a chili cheese dog now!
- 1 can refrigerated pizza dough
- 1 3/4 cups leftover chili or 1 (15 ounce) can chili
- 5-6 hotdogs, thinly sliced
- 1 3/4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
Press the pizza dough out evenly onto a 14 inch pizza pan.
Spread the chili to the edges of the pizza dough.
Top the chili with the sliced hot dogs.
Sprinkle the cheese evenly over the top.
Place the pizza in the preheated oven and bake for 20-25 minutes or until the crust is completely baked in the center of the pizza. Slice and serve.
Serve with chopped onions, pickled jalapeno slices, or your favorite chili dog toppings.