Tender and flaky scones are studded with sweet tart blackberries and topped with a rich cream cheese glaze for a winning combination.
I’ll have you know, I already wrote a post about these blackberry cream cheese scones once. But when I was done writing, I read the post and I realized that when it comes to blackberries I have a tendency to say the same thing. My husband loves them. Well you know what? The heck with that. Yes, he does love blackberries and I do love to cook for him, but to be honest I made these scones just for me! I’m the scone lover in this house.
That’s right. Fall mornings are absolutely perfect for tender flaky scones, a steaming cup of tea and my journal on my lap. Blissful.
I love the color the blackberries add to these scones, that and they keep them perfectly moist and bursting with flavor inside. They are tart and sweet with cream cheese inside the scones and also providing that lovely tang to the glaze on top. Forget the coffee house, these are better and it can all be done in your pajamas. And on a cold morning, that my friend, just can’t be beat.
For the Scones
- 2 3/4 cup all purpose unbleached flour
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, cold and cut in small pieces
- 4 ounces cream cheese, cold and cut into small pieces
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup blackberries
For the Glaze
- 2 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 Tablespoon butter, softened
- 2 Tablespoon milk
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
To Make The Scones
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Prepare a baking sheet with a silicone mat or line the baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugars, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add the butter and cream cheese. Using a fork, a pastry blender, or your fingers, cut in the butter and cream cheese until the mixture is coarse with no lumps larger than pea-sized. Gently stir in the blackberries. Add the buttermilk and vanilla and stir until just combined.
- Turn the scone dough out onto a lightly floured surface and using floured hands, lightly knead the dough 3 or 4 times. Shape the dough into an 8 inch round with a thickness of about 1 inch.
- Place the dough onto the prepared baking sheet and cut into 8 wedges, separating them slightly.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to a wire rack to cool.
To Make The Glaze
- In a small bowl, whisk together the cream cheese, butter, milk, vanilla and powdered sugar until smooth. Drizzle over the tops of the scones.