Shepherd’s Pie with Tater Tots starts with ground beef and veggies in a rich gravy sauce. Then it’s topped with cheddar cheese and tater tots for a fun twist that combines Shepherd’s Pie with the ease of Tater Tot Casserole.
I don’t know about you, but I can never have too many easy and hearty ground beef casseroles. Cheap, easy, and my kids will actually eat it? Sold! This Shepherd’s Pie with Tater Tots totally fits the bill.
What is Shepherd’s Pie?
Shepherd’s Pie sometimes also known as Cottage Pie is a hearty casserole that originated in the UK. It is traditionally made from either minced beef or lamb (that’s where the shepherd part comes in). The meat is cooked in a gravy or sauce with mixed vegetables. Sometimes shepherd’s pie is topped with a layer of cheese, but it’s always finished with a layer of mashed potatoes.
This easy variation keeps all the classic flavors of shepherd’s pie, but switches to tater tots for the topping. I love using my cast iron skillet for these kinds of casseroles, because you can go straight from the stove top to the oven. I got this one for under $40 on Amazon and I use it for everything!
How to make Shepherd’s Pie with Tator Tots:
Brown 1 pound of ground beef with a half cup of chopped onion and a clove of garlic. You can also use ground turkey, lamb, or chicken in place of the beef.
Stir 2 tablespoons of flour into the cooked meat until the flour is completely dissolved. Then whisk in 1 can of beef consomme and ½ cup of milk. You’ll need to whisk constantly until the mixture comes to a boil and the sauce thickens so no lumps form on the bottom of the pan. Remove from the heat and season with black pepper and Worcestershire sauce.
Add the frozen mixed vegetables to the ground beef and sauce. If you don’t have a cast iron skillet, now is the time to transfer the mixture to a greased 9×13 casserole dish. If you do have a cast iron skillet, continue on!
Top with the shredded cheddar and tator tots and then bake until the tops of the tots are nice and crispy. About 25-30 minutes.
This recipe is very easy and forgiving! Feel free to change things up based on your preferences. Try it with sweet potato tater tots for an interesting twist!
Shepherd’s Pie with Tator Tots also freezes well. To make ahead and freeze, simply assemble your casserole in a freezer safe dish or foil pan. Tightly cover with aluminum foil and freeze for up to 3 months.
When you are ready to bake allow the casserole to thaw completely in the fridge and then bake as directed!
Serve this casserole up with a green salad, some hot rolls and call it good!
- 1 pound 80/20 ground beef
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 (10 ounce) can beef consomme
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 (12 ounce bag) frozen mixed vegetables
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 (30 ounce) bag frozen tater tots
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- In a large cast iron skillet, brown the hamburger with the diced onion and garlic.
- Add the flour to the browned hamburger and stir until it's completely dissolved. On medium heat, whisk in the consomme and milk. Stirring constantly, cook until the mixture has thickened and is bubbly.
- Stir in the Worcestershire sauce, black pepper, and mixed vegetables.
- Sprinkle the cheddar cheese over the top of the hamburger and vegetables. Then top with tater tots.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until the tater tots are golden brown and the sauce is bubbling at the edges.
If you do not have a cast iron skillet, move the mixture to a 9x13 pan after Step 4 and continue as directed.
Pin this recipe for later!
Did you make this recipe?
Please leave a comment or review below! I’d also love to see what you’ve been making on Instagram or Facebook.
Accidental Happy Baker is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases at amazon.com at no additional cost to you.