This Wendy’s chili recipe is a perfect copycat! Thick and rich chili with a variety of beans, vegetables, and spices. It’s the perfect dump and go slow cooker chili.
The first job I ever had was working at Wendy’s. I was 15. And yes, this will date me, but this was in the days of Wendy’s “superbar” and fresh stuffed pitas. Anybody remember those? I want the pitas to make a comeback.
(Also my old Wendy’s manager’s wife reads my blog. How fun is that? Hi Kathie! Hi Gary!)
One thing about working at a restaurant, you get to see what other people love to order and eat. By golly, people love Wendy’s chili. Especially during the cold weather months.
Whether you agree or not, Wendy’s has some spectacular chili for a fast food chain. It’s way more complex than just hamburger and beans in a chili sauce. It’s thick and spicy with beans and veggies and tastes as close to homemade chili as you can get for under 2 bucks.
This copycat chili recipe tastes just like Wendy’s. Except it’s homemade, so it’s better.
This chili is comfort food at it’s best. It’s made with 2 kinds of beans, fresh chopped vegetables, tomatoes and spices. And it’s ridiculously easy. Just dump and go in the slow cooker. Watch the video and see.
Please note: You will need a slow cooker that is at least 6 quarts for this chili. It makes a big batch! I love this slow cooker I bought on Amazon because it’s got neat chalkboard inserts to you can write on it what’s inside! Perfect for potlucks.
If you don’t have a large slow cooker, this recipe can also be made on the stove top. Simply follow the directions stated below, but simmer in a large stockpot for 45-60 minutes on low on the stove instead.
We love to eat our chili with cornbread. If you do too, you need this Jiffy cornbread hack. The best cornbread ever!
And if you are a true chili lover you’ve got to try this recipe that uses leftover chili. It’s my family’s favorite. Chili Dog Pizza!
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 (29 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (29 ounce can) kidney beans, drained
- 1 (29 ounce can) pinto beans, drained
- 2 (14.5 ounce cans) diced tomatoes, not drained
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 3 ribs celery, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon cumin powder
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 2 cups beef broth*
- * See note below*
1. Brown the ground beef well. Drain off the fat and add the ground beef to a 6 quart or larger slow cooker.
2. Add the remaining ingredients and stir well and cover.
3. Cook on Low for 8-10 hours or on High for 4-6 hours.
1. You may substitute 2 beef bouillon cubes and 2 cups of water for the broth.
2. To make this on the stove top, simply add the browned and drained beef to a large stock pot along with the remaining ingredients. Simmer on low heat, stirring occasionally, for 45 minutes to an hour.
Pin this recipe for later!
Did you make this recipe?
Please leave a comment or review below! I’d also love to see what you’ve been making on Instagram or Facebook.
Accidental Happy Baker is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases at amazon.com.