Orange spiced monkey bread is the perfect ooey gooey citrusy sweet morning treat!
Soft and fluffy biscuit pieces are rolled in orange zest, cinnamon, ground cloves and sugar before being doused in a homemade orange syrup and baked into a golden brown syrupy pull-apart treat!
Growing up my Grandmother always made us cups of orange spiced tea in the winter when we came in from playing outside. There’s just something about the combination of oranges, cinnamon, and cloves that is so comforting and homey. I knew that these flavors would make a fantastic monkey bread.
Sidenote: Any time I make this my kids all squeal, “Monkey Brains,” and I say, “ It’s monkey bread!” Does anyone else out there call this monkey brains or just my weirdos?
To make Orange Spiced Monkey Bread you’ll need:
- 2 big cans of biscuits
- 2 oranges
- White sugar
- Brown sugar
You’ll also need a bundt pan. I know there are lots of fun styles out there, but for monkey bread I recommend just a plain old school bundt pan like this one on Amazon. Why? The shallow ridged shape allows the finished bread to hold together better and gets the most even coating of syrup.
To make orange spiced monkey bread you’ll start by zesting 2 navel oranges. You’ll need ⅓ cup of fresh squeezed orange juice for the syrup later, which is equal to about one orange. So at the end of making this recipe you will have one naked orange leftover to do whatever you want with.
Prepare the orange spiced cinnamon sugar mixture and set aide.
Next, cut each biscuit into approximately 4-6 pieces. I like using a pair of kitchen shears for this task, but a knife works fine too.
Roll each piece of biscuit dough in the sugar mixture and then place in your greased bundt pan.
In a small pan combine the ingredients for the syrup and heat just until the mixture comes to a boil. Pour the syrup over the biscuits in the bundt pan and bake it until it’s golden brown. Turn out onto a serving platter to remove from the pan.
A note on serving monkey bread. When you turn out the monkey bread, there is going to be a bit of syrup! Try to pick a platter with a lip so the syrup doesn’t run over the edge. I planned to have the glaze dripping off the platter for pictures, but in real life it’s a pain in the butt to clean up.
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- zest of 2 oranges
- 2 (16.3 ounce) cans biscuits
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/3 cup fresh squeezed orange juice
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and prepare a bundt pan with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, combine the white sugar, cinnamon and cloves with the zest from 2 oranges.
- Cut each biscuit into 4-6 pieces. Dredge each piece of biscuit dough in the cinnamon sugar and place the coated pieces in the bundt pan.
- In a small pan, heat the brown sugar, cinnamon, butter and orange juice just until it comes to a boil. Pour the syrup evenly over the biscuits.
- Bake the monkey bread at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes or until the bread is golden brown and cooked throughout. Allow the pan to cool for 10 minutes before turning out onto a serving platter.
If you love monkey bread you might also enjoy my Blackberry Monkey Bread.
Pin this recipe for later!
Accidental Happy Baker is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases at amazon.com at no additional cost to you.