Italian Pinwheels have all the big bold flavors of a BMT sub sandwich in an easy to make, fun to eat roll-up!
These addictive little appetizers have all the ingredients and flavor of my favorite sub sandwich, the BMT.
Fun fact: Did you know that BMT stands for the biggest, meatiest, tastiest?
These easy to make roll-ups are loaded with hard salami, pepperoni, ham, and Italian cheeses. A cheesy spread with cream cheese and mayo is the glue that holds the pinwheels all together and happens to be one of the tastiest parts! Seasoned with Italian herbs, chopped roasted red peppers, pepperoncini peppers, and black olives, this spread is bursting with flavor.
You want to know the best part about a great pinwheel recipe?
- They’re quick to make.
- Can be made ahead of time.
- Work fab as game day snacks and party appetizers, but also are great to pack in the kids lunchboxes.
- They generally make a ton.
- And they are easy to customize to your tastes.
How to make Italian Pinwheels
You’ll start by making the cheese spread. Mix together an 8 ounce block of cream cheese with a quarter cup of mayo.
Stir in the Italian seasoning, chopped roasted red peppers, chopped pepperoncini peppers, and sliced black olives. Note: If you like spicy, feel free to use hot pepperoncini!
Now it’s time to assemble the pinwheels!
1.Divide the cheese spread evenly onto 5 large burrito sized flour tortillas and spread thinly.
2. Sprinkle about a 1/3 of a cup of shredded Italian blend cheese onto each tortilla.
3. Add a layer of hard salami to each tortilla.
4. On top of the salami add a layer of pepperoni.
5. Next add 4 slices of deli ham to the top of each tortilla.
6. And finally, add some coarsely chopped Romaine lettuce to the edge of each.
7. Roll each pinwheel tightly, starting at the edge with the Romaine lettuce and then place the rolled pinwheels in the fridge to chill for at least an hour. Then all that’s left is to slice and enjoy!
Helpful hints for the best results.
- Use the largest size tortillas you can find. If you can’t find burrito sized tortillas, you can also use lavash bread.
- When slicing the pinwheels, a serrated knife works the best.
- Add your favorite sub sandwich toppings to customize! Sliced red onions, jalapenos, mushrooms, etc.
- Eat within a day or so, or feel free to omit the lettuce and they will stay good for a little longer.
Here are a few more of my favorite game day snacks:
Italian Cheese Spread
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup mayo
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2/3 cup chopped roasted red peppers
- 2/3 cup chopped pepperoncini peppers
- 1 (2.25 ounce) can sliced black olives, drained
For the pinwheels
- 5 large burrito size flour tortillas
- 1 2/3 cups shredded Italian blend cheese or mozzarella
- 1 (6 ounce) package sliced hard salami
- 1 (6 ounce) package sliced pepperoni
- 20 slices deli ham
- 1 small head romaine lettuce, washed and coarsely chopped
Start by making the cheese spread. Mix together an 8 ounce block of cream cheese with a quarter cup of mayo. Stir in the Italian seasoning, chopped roasted red peppers, pepperoncini, and black olives.
Divide the cheese spread between the 5 tortillas. Spread evenly.
Sprinkle 1/3 cup of shredded cheese over each tortilla.
Add a layer of hard salami, pepperoni, and ham to each tortilla.
Place some shredded lettuce to one edge of each tortilla.
Tightly roll the tortilla, starting at the edge with the lettuce. Tuck in the ingredients as necessary as you roll.
Cover the pinwheels and place in the fridge to chill for one hour.
When ready to serve, cut into 1 inch slices using a serrated knife.
To easily serve to party guests, stick a tooth pick into each slice of pinwheel.
Feel free to substitute your favorite sub sandwich toppings!
Pin this recipe or click the ❤️ to save it for later!