Soft and fluffy banana cupcakes capture everything you love about banana bread and then take it over the top with the addition of creamy and smooth peanut butter frosting. Peanut butter plus banana is one of my favorite peanut butter combinations!
You wanna know the problem with bananas and food blogging? It’s a vicious circle. You use the ripe bananas in your recipes, but then need to buy a few more bananas that are pretty for the pictures which then results in more ripe bananas for recipes!
I’m not saying it’s a bad problem to have, because as is evident from the banana scones, banana breads, banana muffins, and banana cakes you can find on AHB, I obviously like baking with bananas! What is it Shakira says, the hips don’t lie? LOL, I can’t hide the evidence in this case.
These banana cupcakes are soft and fluffy and topped with the absolutely most luscious and creamy peanut butter frosting. Top these cupcakes with chopped peanuts or banana chips and you’ve got an easy dessert that looks and tastes stunning! Perfect for parties and bake sales.
Let’s talk about ingredients real quick, specifically, the ingredients for the frosting. Using reduced fat peanut butter or cream cheese will change the consistency of your frosting! Use full fat products for the best results!
If you don’t bake cupcakes very often, you might want a little refresher on tips for baking the best cupcakes before you get started. And you can find my favorite polka dot cupcake liners here on Amazon.
For the Banana Cupcakes
- 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- A pinch of salt
- 6 Tablespoons butter, softened to room temperature
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
For the Peanut Butter Frosting
- 1/2 cup butter, softened to room temp
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 3 ounces cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups confectioners sugar
- 2-3 Tablespoons milk
- Chopped peanuts
- Banana Chips
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F and line a cupcake pan with 14 paper cupcake liners.
- Add the all purpose flour, baking soda and baking powder to a medium sized mixing bowl and lightly stir to combine. Set that aside for later.
- In another medium sized mixing bowl, beat the softened butter and the sugars until they are light and fluffy. Add the bananas and mix well. Beat the eggs in one at a time until they are fully incorporated into the cake batter and then add the vanilla.
- On a low speed, alternate adding the flour mixture and the buttermilk. Mix until everything is just blended, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Divide the batter evenly into the lined baking cups.
- Bake the cupcakes at 350 degrees for approximately 22-24 minutes until the tops of the cupcakes are golden, slightly domed on top and spring back when touched. Or a tooth pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely on a wire rack.
- To make the peanut butter frosting, beat together the softened butter, peanut butter, cream cheese and vanilla until it's light and fluffy.
- Add the confectioners sugar and 2 Tablespoons milk and beat again for 2 minutes, adding more milk as necessary for the proper consistency.
- Transfer the frosting to a piping bag and pipe the icing onto each cupcake.
- Top with chopped peanuts or banana chips if desired.
Please note, this recipe makes approximately 14 cupcakes. Most pans hold 12.
Use full fat peanut butter and cream cheese for the best results and creamy consistency for the frosting.
Accidental Happy Baker is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases at amazon .com at no additional cost to you.