Take leftovers to the next level with these BBQ Stuffed Sweet Potatoes. Hearty baked sweet potatoes are stuffed with shredded bbq and topped with coleslaw for an easy, healthy and filling main dish that comes together in less than 15 minutes!
My father in law loves to smoke meat and we love being the recipient of his efforts. The only problem we run into is not being able to eat all of it! Unfortunately my kids are super picky about leftovers, so I’m constantly dreaming up new ways to dress up leftovers.
- These stuffed sweet potatoes are a perfect way to use up any leftover smoked meat or BBQ.
- They are filling enough to be a meal on their own.
- By using the microwave to cook our sweet potatoes, they come together in under 15 minutes, making this a great weeknight meal or easy lunch.
Picking Sweet Potatoes
Pick sweet potatoes that are medium to medium-large. Big enough to hold up to all the filling they’ll be stuffed with, but not so big you can’t eat it. You’ll want to pick sweet potatoes that are roughly around the same size so they all cook at the same rate.
Cooking Sweet Potatoes in the Microwave
- Start by washing and drying your sweet potatoes.
- Pierce each potato approximately 5-8 times with a fork.
- Wrap each potato with a paper towel, or simply place on a paper towel lined plate. Oftentimes the potatoes can seep out a little liquid as they cook and the paper towels will help to absorb it.
- Microwave for 5-6 minutes, then carefully turn over each sweet potato and cook again for another 5- 6 minutes or until the sweet potato flesh gently yields when you press on it.
*Not all microwaves cook at the same rate. These times are based on my microwave oven. Yours may take more or less time depending on the wattage. Use the times as an estimate and remember, you can always add more time if the potatoes aren’t quite done, but you can’t remove time once they are cooked. It’s better to check several times, then overbake!
Alternately you can bake your sweet potatoes in the oven if you have the time.
Let the sweet potatoes rest while you reheat your shredded bbq meat. Then split them open and pile them high with bbq and prepared coleslaw. Easy peasy.
These yummy stuffed potatoes go great with shredded BBQ chicken or pulled pork and I love topping them with my Blackberry BBQ sauce. You can use leftover coleslaw, your favorite recipe of homemade coleslaw or even store bought to keep this really simple and easy.
Other toppings you might enjoy on these stuffed sweet potatoes:
- Sweet Pickles
- Crispy Fried Onions
- Pickled Red Onions
- Shredded Cheese
BBQ Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
Hearty baked sweet potatoes are stuffed with shredded bbq and topped with coleslaw for an easy, healthy and filling main dish that comes together in less than 15 minutes!
- 4 medium to medium-large sweet potatoes
- 2 cups leftover shredded bbq meat
- 2 cups prepared coleslaw
- Barbecue sauce
- For the toppings: Pickles, red onions, cilantro, jalapenos, shredded cheese
- Wash and dry your sweet potatoes.
- Pierce each sweet potato 6-8 times with a fork.
- Either wrap the sweet potatoes in paper towels, or simply place the potatoes on paper towels on a microwaveable plate.
- Cook on high in the microwave for 5-6 minutes. Flip the potatoes over and cook another 5-6 minutes. Cooking times are approximate and will vary based on the wattage of your microwave and the size of your sweet potatoes. Smaller sweet potatoes might not take as long, while larger sweet potatoes may take longer. You'll know the sweet potatoes are ready when you squeeze them and the flesh gently gives way under pressure.
- Remove the sweet potatoes and let them rest while you reheat the bbq meat in the microwave.
- Cut each potato down the center and gently split.
- Top each potato with 1/2 cup shredded bbq meat, extra bbq sauce to taste, and 1/2 cup coleslaw.
- Add extra toppings as desired.
This recipe can be made with any variety of leftover bbq meat, but is especially good with shredded pork and chicken.
Pin it to save this idea for later!
Mi Seon CROPPER
Wednesday 17th of February 2021
Super simple and easy to male. 30 minute or less meal. It literally is a meal. You get your starch, protein, and vegetables. I'm sad that mine us gone and I didn't double the recipe and get 8 sweet potatoes. Definitely a repeat for me.
Tuesday 15th of September 2020
wow I love sweet potatoes but never tried them this way! looks like I will be trying your recipe this weekend 😁
Tuesday 22nd of September 2020
Hope that you will enjoy Anastasha!