Delicately flavored of pistachio, this delightful pistachio pudding pound cake recipe is perfect for spring. Added bonus; with lower sugar and butter content than most pound cake recipes, this is one you’ll keep coming back to!
When my kids were little every Wednesday morning I would take them to their Grandpa’s shop to visit. First they’d stop by their Grandma’s desk to say hi and she’d give them each two quarters to get a pop out of the pop machine. Then they’d go into Grandpa’s office to say hi. He kept a tin of pistachios on his desk and they’d line up to get a handful of nuts. They’d settle themselves down by the tiny television in the front office and watch Scooby Doo with Grandma and Grandpa, cracking open pistachios and slurping down a soda. They’ve all outgrown this ritual now, but because of their Wednesday morning snack runs, all of my kids have developed a love of pistachios…and Scooby Doo.
Today’s cake is a recipe that I developed just for my kids. This was one that nobody complained about one bit as I worked to get it just right. I think that I made it 4-5 times before I got it tweaked to perfection and it’s now my daughter’s and my stepfather’s favorite.
Unassuming from the outside, this tender cake has a wonderful pistachio flavor inside. To achieve this flavor, I used two boxes of pistachio pudding. Pudding is a wonderful addition to cake. It keeps the cake dense and moist, plus it’s incredibly affordable with a long shelf life, so it’s a good thing to keep in the pantry. This pistachio pudding pound cake is a lighter version of pound cake, not healthy mind you, but it has much less sugar and butter than most versions. If you are a pistachio lover like we are, I guarantee you’re going to love this one.
Pistachio Pudding Pound Cake
This pistachio pudding pound cake is wonderfully dense and moist inside with a delicate pistachio flavor.
- 3 cups all purpose unbleached flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup butter , softened to room temp
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 2 boxes instant pistachio pudding mix
- 1 1/3 cups buttermilk
- 1 1/4 cup confectioners sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1-2 Tablespoons of milk
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together the butter, sugar and vanilla together until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, beating one at a time. Then add both boxes of pistachio pudding, beat until well blended, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Mix in the flour mixture and the buttermilk alternately, starting and ending with the flour.
- Prepare 2 loaf pans with nonstick cooking spray.
- Divide the cake batter between the 2 loaf pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool on wire racks for 10 minutes, then remove from pans and cool completely on wire rack.
- Whisk together the confectioners sugar with vanilla and milk until smooth and lump free. Drizzle over the cakes.
If you love pound cake, then here’s another cake recipe for you to try! My triple butterscotch pound cake has butterscotch batter, butterscotch chips baked inside, and a totally addictive browned butter butterscotch glaze drizzled on top. It’s a butterscotch lovers dream come true.