Instant Pot Asparagus Risotto is decadent, delicious and so deceptively easy when made in the instant pot. This creamy Italian rice dish is loaded with flavor as it’s cooked with lots of garlic, white wine and broth then seasoned with parmesan cheese and lemon juice before serving.
Have you ever made risotto on the stove top? If you have then you know it’s a labor of love. Making a risotto in a pressure cooker yields the same exact results but in less time and with just a fraction of the work. This is why I love instant pot recipes!
More Instant Pot Recipes to Try!
- Instant Pot Ranch Potatoes
- Instant Pot Beef Stew
- Big Batch Instant Pot Shredded Chicken
- Instant Pot BBQ Swiss Steak
This asparagus risotto is perfect for Spring. It’s rich and creamy with tender asparagus spears and can be a meal all by itself, but it also pairs nicely with chicken, shrimp and scallops. Serve it with a green salad, garlic bread, and maybe a bit of that white wine if there’s any leftover. Then sit back and relax, because there’s only one pot to wash afterwards!
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Fresh Asparagus, (I do not recommend frozen for this recipe)
- Unsalted Butter
- Yellow Onion
- Dry white wine, ( Pinot Grigio, Sauvignon Blanc, or Chardonnay work well)
- Arborio Rice
- Chicken or Vegetable Broth
- Seasoned Salt
- Black Pepper
- Fresh Parmesan
- Fresh Lemon Juice
Let’s talk about the wine in this recipe. I’ve seen lots and lots of risotto recipes that don’t have any wine. I always add wine to my risotto because it adds so much flavor! What wine works best for risotto? I suggest Pinot Grigio, Sauvingnon Blanc, or Chardonnay. I usually use Barefoot brand Chardonnay.
Drinking dry white wine isn’t my favorite, but I love it in recipes. If you can find the 4 packs of mini wine bottles, they are perfect to have on hand for cooking. However, if you’d rather omit the wine altogether, just substitute an equal amount of broth or water for the wine.
Step by Step Instructions:
Step 1: Using your Saute function, add half the butter and the asparagus to the Instant Pot. Saute 3-4 minutes until it turns bright green. Remove with a slotted spoon and set back for later.
Step 2: Add the remaining butter to the instant pot with the onion and garlic. Saute 3-4 minutes until the onion has started to soften and become translucent.
Step 3: Deglaze the pot with wine. Cancel Saute function and add the remaining ingredients to the pot with the exception of the lemon juice, parmesan, and reserved asparagus.
Step 4: Close and lock the lid. Select high pressure according to manufacturer’s instructions and set the timer for 5 minutes. It will take 10 to 15 minutes for the pressure to build.
Step 5: Allow the instant pot to naturally release pressure for a few minutes, then do a quick release to remove the remaining pressure. When the vent has dropped carefully open the instant pot and stir in the parmesan and lemon juice.
Step 6: Stir in the reserved asparagus pieces and place the lid back on the pot. Allow the risotto to sit and thicken for a few minutes and to allow the asparagus to heat back up before serving.
Pro Tip: If the risotto isn’t quite as creamy as you’d like it to be, you can add a few tablespoons of half and half to help get the consistency you desire. The longer the risotto sits the more it will thicken up. Also try adding a splash of half and half when reheating leftovers to bring back that original creaminess.
Pin this recipe or click the ❤️ to save it for later!
Instant Pot Asparagus Risotto
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 1 pound asparagus spears, trimmed and cut into 1.5 inch pieces
- 1/ 2 cup yellow onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine* (see recipe notes for suggestions)
- 2 cups Arborio rice
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- ½ teaspoon seasoned salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ cup shredded Parmesan cheese*
- 1-2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Turn on the Instant Pot and select the Saute function. Add ½ the butter and allow it to melt. Next, add the asparagus and saute it for 3-4 minutes or until the asparagus turns bright green. Carefully remove the asparagus using a slotted spoon and set it aside for later.
- Add the remaining butter and allow it to melt. Stir in the onions and garlic. Saute for 3-4 minutes or until softened and translucent. It’s okay if there are some browned bits on the bottom of the Instant Pot.
- Add the wine and stir, scraping the bottom of the instant pot to remove any of those browned bits. Hit cancel and stir in the rice, wine, broth, seasoned salt, and pepper.
- Close and lock the lid. Select high pressure according to manufacturer's instructions; set the timer for 5 minutes. It will take 10 to 15 minutes for the pressure to build and then the cooking countdown will begin.
- After the timer goes off, allow for a natural release for 2 minutes and then perform a quick release to remove the additional pressure.
- When the vent has dropped, carefully open the lid. Stir in the Parmesan cheese and lemon juice, stirring until the cheese is melted. Start with one tablespoon of lemon juice to taste and if you’d like a more pronounced flavor, add the second tablespoon. Stir in the reserved asparagus pieces. Place the lid back on the instant pot and allow the risotto to sit for 2-3 minutes which allows the asparagus to heat back up and the risotto to slightly thicken.
- Serve with lemon wedges and extra parmesan.
1. I recommend using Pinot Grigio, Sauvignon Blanc or Chardonnay for this recipe. If you'd prefer not to use wine substitute an equal amount of broth for the wine called for.
2. You may substitute Pecorino Romano for the Parmesan Cheese.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 446Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 110mgSodium: 430mgCarbohydrates: 31gFiber: 3gSugar: 5gProtein: 29g
This nutritional information has been based on third-party calculations and should be considered as an estimate. Actual nutritional content will vary with brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes and more.