Tender cranberry orange scones are full of fruity, sweet, and tart cranberry flavor and topped with fresh squeezed orange juice glaze.
Another week. Another recipe. Another silly made-up name assigned to that recipe by my kids. It’s becoming a regular occurrence. This week’s cranberry orange scones became “man-berry orange scones” after my sons decided that only they should get scones and didn’t want to leave any for their sister. Those boys are like wild locusts and devour everything in their path when they get home from school.
Everyone has some nostalgic flavor or recipe that just tastes like the holidays. For me nothing says Christmas to me quite like the pairing of fresh cranberries with oranges. These scones are very reminiscent of my mother’s cranberry orange bread that she makes every year. I love that stuff. Dotted with cranberries and topped with orange glaze, these scones are sweet but tart. Aromatic and full of fruity fresh flavors. Tender and flaky.
My cranberry orange scones would make a welcome addition to any breakfast or brunch spread. And if you’re looking for a pretty way to serve them, check out the beautiful rustic tray in the photos made by my friend Megan of Authentic Megan! As soon as I saw these trays I had to have one. Made entirely from reclaimed wood, these trays are as pretty as they are practical. Please check out her Facebook page and Etsy store. She makes all kinds of rustic decor and does custom pieces too. I commissioned a custom wreath for my bathroom and could not be more pleased with her work. Seriously, I wouldn’t share her work if I didn’t love it and I hope you will too!
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- 1 orange, zested and juiced
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose unbleached flour
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cold unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1 egg
- 2 Tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1 cup confectioners sugar
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Place the cranberries, orange zest and granulated sugar in a food processor and pulse until the cranberries are coarsely and evenly chopped.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, nutmeg, and salt. Using a pastry blender or fork, cut in the the butter until the mixture is crumbly and resembles coarse crumbs. Add the cranberry mixture and lightly stir.
- In a small bowl, stir together the milk, sour cream, and egg. Pour into the dry ingredients and stir it just until the ingredients are moistened.
- Dust a smooth surface with flour and turn the dough out onto it. Gently knead the scone dough about 5 or 6 times. Divide the dough in half. Transfer each portion over to a lightly greased baking sheet and pat each into about a 6 round. Cut each round into 6 wedges, separating slightly.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- In a small bowl, combine the orange juice with the confectioners sugar. Drizzle over the scones.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 12 Servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 212