Don’t let anyone tell you that soup can’t be a meal. This tortellini soup is so hearty and filling. With robust Italian sausage, loads of veggies and savory cheese tortellini, this soup packs a lot of flavor! Serve it up with a side of garlic bread baked in foil and you’ve got a one pot wonder of a meal that comes together in 40 minutes.
Guess who’s got two thumbs and is excited that the weather is starting to get colder? It’s me! But really, it’s only because I despise mosquitoes and I love soup and it means it’s clementine season too. So guess who had soup every day last week? Me again! We had a big family dinner at my house on Saturday after our little town holiday parade (the beautiful float we made at work did not win) and everyone brought a crockpot of soup to share. We had chicken noodle, dill pickle, homemade cream of mushroom, seafood chowder, and beef bourguinon. It was a regular smorgasbord of soups, which is kind of funny, because I’d been planning to make this tortellini soup for the blog this week anyway so it was a super souper kind of week. (The kids are home for Thanksgiving break. They forced me to watch exercise infomercials with them tonight, so just roll with my bad jokes for now…)
My tortellini soup has a beef broth base, which makes it a little different than most tortellini soups I’ve seen. If you love minestrone, then you’ll love this soup, because they are very similar. There is a little chopping required, but the prep work for this is simple and doesn’t take long. This is one soup you’ll keep coming back to!
- 1 pound Italian sausage
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped
- 2 ribs of celery, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 cup chopped mushrooms
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 6 cups beef broth
- 1 can italian diced tomatoes
- 1 can tomato soup
- 1 19 ounce bag frozen cheese tortellini
- 1/2 box frozen chopped spinach, thawed and excess moisture squeezed out
- salt and pepper
- In a large stockpot, cook the Italian sausage, garlic, and onion until the sausage is completely browned. Drain.
- Add to the stockpot the celery, carrots, mushrooms, beef broth, diced tomatoes and tomato soup. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the spinach and tortellini and simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Top with fresh grated parmesan if desired.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 8 Servings
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 485