This creamy and crunchy Amish Broccoli Cauliflower Salad recipe is an old-fashioned country favorite! This easy-to-make salad is packed with fresh broccoli, cauliflower, cashews, bacon, and raisins then tossed with a tangy homemade dressing. It’s the perfect summer salad to take to a backyard barbecue!
Okay, so you’re invited to a barbecue and have no idea what to bring, but you want something different! This Amish Broccoli Salad recipe is a great option! It’s easy to make ahead of time and stores well.
This country favorite is crunchy and creamy, sweet and savory. It just has so much to offer, which is probably why it’s been around for so long! One of my favorite Amish restaurants has this on the menu and I am always sure to get it when I’m there. My kids make fun of me for being excited about going to a restaurant to get salad.
If you love simple and old-fashioned country recipes, here are more to try!
What do you need to make this recipe?
- Broccoli: If you wanted, you could make this with just broccoli, but I like the combination of broccoli and cauliflower. The cauliflower doesn’t soak up as much dressing and helps it stay crunchy
- Cashews: If nut allergies are an issue, try substituting 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese instead of the nuts. Sunflower seeds also work well.
- Raisins: Any color of raisins are suitable, though I like using golden raisins best. Craisins make a great substitute.
- Red Onion
For the dressing:
- Mayo: No Substitutions! Mayo is not miracle whip. Mayo.
- Sour cream: Greek yogurt makes a great substitution for sour cream
- Granulated sugar: This makes the dressing nice and sweet
- Apple Cider Vinegar: This gives it it’s tanginess. But regular white vinegar works too.
Step by step instructions:
Step 1. Chop your veggies.
Step 2. Whisk together your dressing.
Mix together the dressing and veggies.
Fry the bacon, crumble it, and add it in just before serving.
- 4 cups broccoli florets, chopped bite size
- 4 cups cauliflower florets, chopped bite size
- 6 slices of bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 cup cashew pieces, lightly salted
- 1 cup golden raisins
- ½ cup red onion, finely chopped
For the Dressing
- ¾ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Apple Cider vinegar
In a large bowl, combine the broccoli, cauliflower, cashews, raisins and red onion.
In a separate container, whisk together the ingredients for the dressing.
Add the dressing to the veggies and mix well.
Just before serving, stir in the crumbled bacon.
This salad tastes the best after sitting for a few hours, but can be eaten immediately after making.
Storing: Place salad in an airtight container, keeping bacon separate until you’re ready to serve. Stays good in the fridge for several days.
Variations: Instead of cashews, try adding one cup of cubed or shredded sharp cheddar cheese.
You can also replace the raisins with craisins.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 339Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 17gCholesterol: 17mgSodium: 346mgCarbohydrates: 30gFiber: 4gSugar: 18gProtein: 8g