If you’re looking for an easy weeknight dinner that will feed your whole family, have I got a winner for you. French Onion Smothered Pork Chops are so easy to make with only 4 ingredients and are ready in under one hour.
This might sound weird, but people that I know give me food, specifically random ingredients, all the time. Like, I bought the wrong brand of such and such and thought you could maybe use it. Or I accidentally bought too much of this, would you like it? Etc.
That’s how I ended up with a carton of party sour cream dip and a container of French fried onions that needed to be used.. I already had a package of pork chops so I decided to throw them all together, with some shredded cheese for good measure.
The results were absolutely divine. You end up with tender pork chops in a creamy and cheesy sauce topped with bits of crunchy french fried onions on top. Now I never end up with leftovers when I make this!
If you love this easy Pork Chop recipe, you might also like these Cheesy Spinach Stuffed Pork Chops.
Making these smothered pork chops couldn’t be any easier.
- Turn the oven to 350 degrees. Put your pork chops in a 9×13 pan.
- Spread a container of your favorite flavor sour cream based dip over the pork chops. I used Party dip, but French Onion, Toasted Onion, Ranch and Dill, Bacon and Cheddar all work well. Feel free to change it up and use what’s available. Alternately, you can use plain sour cream, just season your pork chops well with salt and pepper before spreading the sour cream over the pork chops.
- Sprinkle a layer of shredded cheddar over the dip and then finish them off with a small can of French fried onions.
- Put it in the oven and let it bake for about 35-45 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads at least 145 degrees. Or to your preferred level of doneness, I like my pork chops well done and always cook them to 160 degrees.
I always use an instant read thermometer to test my meat. They are inexpensive and are so handy in the kitchen when it comes to meat, checking your oil temperature when your frying, or even baking bread. I recommend this thermometer available on Amazon.
- 8 boneless pork chops
- 1 (8 ounce) container sour cream dip* See note 1
- 1 1/2 cup shredded cheddar
- 3 ounces crispy French fried onions
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Place the pork chops in the bottom of a 9x13 baking pan and spread the sour cream dip evenly over the pork chops.
- Sprinkle the cheddar cheese over the top of the sour cream dip and then evenly spread the French fried onions over the top.
- Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 35-45 minutes, or until a meat thermometer reaches a minimum of 145 degrees or your preferred level of doneness.* See note 2.
1. Feel free to use your favorite variety of sour cream based dip. French onion, Toasted Onion, Chive, Bacon and Cheddar, or Ranch and DIll all work really well with this pork chop recipe.
2. For well done pork chops baked to an internal temperature of 160 degrees.