Apples, bacon, and cheese make an easy, delicious and out of the box fall breakfast when broiled on top of English muffins.
The other day my middle son had me buy enough English muffins that he could make English muffin pizzas for our family for dinner and for his FACS class at school. You know I have teenage boys and his FACS class is full of teenagers, so I basically bought so many English muffins that I could have fed the entire congregation of the Baptist church. (If you’re not aware we live in the bible belt y’all. We’re talking dozens and dozens.) Well, then he got invited to a football game and promptly forgot about making dinner, so I had a fridge full of English muffins just sitting there needing used up.
And you know, it got me to thinking, like English muffins are way under utilized. Can you think of many recipes that use them? I could think of approximately two… English muffin pizzas and eggs Benedict. After taking a survey of the things I had sitting around; apples, bacon, some Laughing Cow spreadable Gouda cheese, and of course the aforementioned dozens of English muffins I realized that these things would make a heck of a fall breakfast. And they did!
Before we go any further I need to ask, do you like the combination of apples and Gouda cheese? I myself am just now getting to the point of my life where I really appreciate the combination of apples and sharp cheese and boy do these flavors shine in these apple, bacon and cheese English muffins. I can’t believe how many years I wasted thinking this was an odd combo. My kids are learning this foodie lesson early and they actually really like it. With these apple, bacon and cheese English muffins you’ve got crisp sweet apples paired with creamy sharp cheese and then of course the bacon just takes it over the top. Bacon makes everything better, right?
These Apple, Bacon, and Cheese English Muffins are:
- Crisp and crunchy
- Sweet and salty
- Full of juicy apples and smoky bacon
- Creamy sharp Gouda cheese
- On top of a humble English muffin for a wow breakfast
We served these up with scrambled eggs for an easy, but out of the box fall breakfast. Feel free to use your favorite flavor of spreadable cheese. This recipe would also work well with sharp cheddar.
- 6 slices bacon
- 2 apples, chopped
- 3 Tablespoons shallot, minced
- 1 Tablespoon brown sugar
- 4 wedges Laughing Cow Gouda Cheese Spread
- 4 English muffins, split
- In a skillet cook the bacon on medium-high heat until crisp around 6-7 minutes. Remove the bacon to paper towels and discard the remaining bacon grease.
- Add the apples, shallot, and brown sugar to the skillet. Cook and stir until the apples begin to get tender and the shallots caramelize, about 6-7 minutes. Remove from the heat. Crumble the bacon and add to the apple mixture.
- Set the oven to broil.
- Spread each half of the English muffin with half (or more if desired) of a Laughing Cow Cheese spread wedge. Top the English muffins with the apple mixture and place on a baking sheet. Broil 2-3 minutes or until the edges are crispy and browned. Serve warm.
Any sharp cheese spread can be used for these, try them with cheddar!