Wild rice stuffed peppers take wild rice mix, sausage, bell peppers and veggies and turn it into a colorful and fresh main dish. These stuffed peppers are easy to make, delicious, and make a pretty presentation on the dinner table. Perfect for when you have guests over for dinner!
I often buy bell peppers in bulk when they are on sale because we love to eat them fresh in things like Bell Pepper Slaw, but I also chop them up to freeze and have on hand for other recipes like Italian Sloppy Joes. It’s a total time and money saver.
These wild rice stuffed bell peppers are filled with hot pork sausage, packaged wild rice mix, zucchini, onion, tomato sauce and cheese for a really flavorful stuffing. You can use any color of bell pepper for this recipe, but I like to use a mix because some of my kids are picky.
To make wildhttp://chicken zucchini rice stuffed peppers you will need:
6 bell peppers, any color will work
A (6 ounce) box wild rice mix, such as Uncle Ben’s
*Feel free to substitute your favorite sausage for the hot sausage, Italian sausage also works well.
How to make wild rice stuffed peppers:
Brown the sausage with the onion. Drain the grease and add the rice mix and water.
Cook until the rice is almost tender, adding the zucchini and tomato sauce in the last 5 minutes of the cooking time.
While the filling is cooking, prepare your bell peppers by slicing off the tops and removing the seeds and the ribs. (Save the tops to chop up and use for another recipe.) You may also find you need to slice off a tiny portion of the bottoms of the peppers to help them stand upright in a 9×13 baking pan.
Stir ½ of the cheese into the filling and stuff the peppers with the rice mixture.
Cover with foil and bake!
Top with the remaining cheese just before serving and heat until melted.
Crisp tender stuffed bell peppers or softer baked peppers? This recipe yields crisp tender bell peppers.
How can I adjust this recipe to get softer textured peppers?
Bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook the hollowed out peppers 5 minutes. Remove and drain well before stuffing. Then bake as directed.
Wild Rice Stuffed Peppers
- 1 pound hot pork sausage
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 small zucchini, chopped
- 1 (6 ounce) box wild rice mix
- 2 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 6 bell peppers
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and prepare a 9 x 13 baking pan with nonstick spray.
- In a large skillet Brown the sausage with the onion. Drain the grease and return to the pan.
- Add the rice and water to the skillet and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook covered for 15 minutes.
- Stir in the chopped zucchini and tomato sauce to rice mixture. Cover and cook another 5 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Meanwhile while the filling is cooking, cut the tops off the peppers. Scoop out all the seeds and membranes. Cut off ¼ inch of the bottoms of the peppers, if needed, to level off and allow to sit upright in the pan.
- Once the rice is tender, remove from the heat and stir in 1/2 the cheese. Season the filling to taste with salt and pepper.
- Stuff the peppers with the rice filling and place in prepared 9x13 inch pan. Cover with foil and bake for 40 minutes.
- Remove the foil, top with remaining cheese and heat again just until cheese is melted.
Follow these directions for softer textured peppers:
Bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook peppers 5 minutes. Remove and drain well before stuffing. Then bake as directed.
Pin this recipe for later!
Accidental Happy Baker is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases at amazon.com.