The deep and rich flavor of molasses brings a whole new life to a simple boxed yellow cake mix in this Molasses Skillet Cake.
Topped with crunchy and buttery crumble topping, this moist and dense cake doesn’t need anything special to go alongside it, but a dollop of whipped cream or vanilla ice cream does make an excellent pairing. I wanted to say a mighty fine pairing, but I’m trying to reign myself in from talking too country.
You guys…I love cake mix. I really do. I don’t ever follow the instructions on the box, but cake mix as an ingredient? Heck ya. I love a good mix hack and today I’ve got one I think you’ll love too.
Molasses Skillet Cake is just about as humble as a country dessert as you can get. It doesn’t take any fancy ingredients and it doesn’t require any fancy tools. You don’t even need a mixer! Just a bowl for mixing and a cast iron skillet for baking.
What you’ll need to make Molasses Skillet Cake:
- Boxed Yellow Cake Mix
- Melted Butter
What if you don’t have a cast iron skillet?
Then I’d try and convince you to buy a cast iron skillet because they are such an all-round workhorse in the kitchen. Really, there’s a reason that 98% of our grandmothers and mothers had cast iron skillets in their kitchens. They transition from stove top to oven like a champ, are easy to clean and care for, make THE BEST fried chicken and you can bake a cake in them. Oh, they’re also cheap. Sold yet?
Please note: If you don’t have a cast iron skillet, this cake can be baked in a 9×13 baking pan.
Molasses Skillet Cake is:
Old-fashioned and Easy
Crunchy and Crumbly
Dense and Moist
Rich and Dark
For an easy and delicious country dinner combination, try pairing this dessert with Slow Cooker Calico Beans.
Some of the above links are affiliate links. Any purchases made through these link help support AHB at no additional cost to you. We appreciate your support.
- 1 (16.5 ounce) box yellow cake mix
- 1/4 cup butter , melted
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ginger
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a 10.5 inch cast iron skillet with baking spray with flour.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl combine the cake mix and melted butter until crumbly. Remove 1 cup of the crumbs and set aside for later.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the cake mix and mix well. Some small lumps may remain.
- Pour the cake batter into the prepared skillet and top with the reserved crumbs. Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Serve warm with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream if desired.
Pin it for later!