Naturally flavored moist orange donuts are topped with an orange zest infused chocolate glaze for a delightfully different breakfast treat.
Do you ever get those chocolate oranges around Christmas time? I love those things so much this is the second recipe I’ve made with these flavors, the first were these chocolate orange shortbread cookies.
1) Chocolate and orange make such a delicious flavor pairing.
2) Are you kidding me? A giant ball of chocolate that you have to smash into something to get it to break into pieces!
Chocolate oranges are like the perfect treat for when you’re stressed out.
Why don’t they sell these things year round! I mean surely chocolatiers know about PMS and how lots of women (I’m one of them) hide chocolate for when they really, really need it. Smashing the heck out of it to break it into pieces—it’s cathartic. It makes sense. Someone could make a lot of money off this.
But I digress…and they don’t sell chocolate oranges year round, at least not here. So I’ve taken 2 of my favorite things and combined them to make something wonderful. Chocolate orange donuts!These donuts get their orange flavor from a combination of orange marmalade and fresh squeezed orange juice. There’s also orange zest in the dark chocolate glaze that cover these beauties. My homemade chocolate orange donuts are best eaten in one sitting…or shared with friends if you must. But really, they are best the day they are made.
Chocolate Glazed Orange Donuts
Naturally flavored moist orange donuts are topped with an orange zest infused chocolate glaze for a delightfully unique donut.
For the Donuts
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose unbleached flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup orange marmalade
- 1/2 cup orange juice, fresh squeezed
For the Glaze
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 2 teaspoons water
- 2 teaspoons corn syrup
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and prepare your donut pan with nonstick spray.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder and set aside.
- In another bowl, stir together the eggs, melted butter, marmalade, and orange juice. Add the flour mixture and stir until combined.
- Pour the donut batter into a large ziploc bag. Snip the end off of one corner of the bag with a pair of scissors and pipe the donut batter into the cavities of your donut pan.
- Bake at 400 degrees. Approx 7-9 minutes for mini donut pans, 9-11 for medium sized donut pans, or 13-15 for large sized donut pans, or until lightly golden brown on top. Cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes and then remove from the pans.
- To make the glaze, melt 1/2 cup chocolate chips in the microwave by heating on 50% power 30 seconds at a time until melted completely. Stir in the zest, water, and corn syrup. Dip each donut into the glaze and let dry on wire racks until set.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 9 Serving Size: 9 Servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 290
Banana Donuts with Salted Caramel Glaze
Chocolate Zucchini Donuts