I love pepperoni, but I hate it on pizza. Is that weird? My husband tells me that’s weird. You know what I do love pepperoni in? Pasta salad, sandwiches, oh, and these divine little pepperoni and cheese puffs. Little bites of pepperoni with three cheeses that are perfect for dipping in pizza sauce. I have been
snacking on, mmkay, scarfing down these things all week.
I knew that this week was going to be crazy because it’s VBS week, I have been in charge of doing crafts with the kids at VBS for around 3 years now. I love it. I love getting the VBS materials, seeing the theme and making pinterest boards of fun craft ideas. I love shopping for the supplies and making spreadsheets about supplies, quantities and budgets to submit to the directors. ( They don’t ask me to do that, I just do. Because I’m weird.) I love decorating my space. But most of all I really love it when the kids see how the craft for the night is going to come together and they turn to me and ask me, How do you know how to do all this stuff? I’m totally going to get the stuff to do this at home again! Crafts were always my favorite part of VBS as a kid, so it’s fun for me to try and do the same for these kiddos.
The 2 things I don’t like about VBS week are 1, THE HEAT! My station is outdoors this year. Which is fine, it’s actually nice in some ways because I don’t have to worry about the kids or me damaging anything. (Last year there might have been a teensy accident with an iron and the carpet. No one was harmed, but let’s just say that room now bears the reminder of the time the hama beads went bad. )
And 2, I have no time to cook at all. Sandwich city, my friends.
Knowing that I would have no time to cook at all I made a double batch of these pepperoni and cheese puffs and stuck them in the deep freeze. The kids and I have been able to pull out a serving, pop them in the microwave for a minute and ta-da tasty virtually mess free snacks! This has been win-win. I’m not having to go make them snacks and they aren’t destroying my kitchen by making their own. My kids like them because they are kind of like cousins of pizza rolls. I like them, because cheese and carbs, duh. Cheesy bready stuffs are one of my biggest weaknesses.
Technically classified as an appetizer, I hold on to the notion that if you paired these with a side salad you could call them dinner. But then, I’m also the kind of gal who says that cake paired with milk, can be called breakfast.
Anyway it falls, these crisp on the outside, light on the inside, savory pepperoni and cheese puffs make for some good munching.
Pepperoni Cheese Puffs
Little bites of pepperoni with three cheeses that are perfect for dipping in pizza sauce
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1/3 cup butter flavored shortening
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup shredded romano , asiago, and parmesan cheese blend
- 1 1/2 cup chopped pepperoni
- 1 tsp minced dried onion
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Spray 2 baking sheets with nonstick cooking spray.
- Combine the water and shortening in a saucepan. Bring to a boil.
- Add the flour to the boiling water, stirring vigorously until the mixture forms a ball, then remove from the heat.
- Using a wooden spoon, beat the eggs into the flour mixture one at a time. Stirring well after each addition.
- After the eggs have all been mixed into the dough, stir in the remaining ingredients.
- Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls onto the greased baking sheets.
- Bake at 450 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve warm with pizza sauce for dipping.
To freeze: let puffs cool, then place in a ziplock freezer bag, removing as much excess air as possible. Place in the deep freeze for up to 6 weeks.
To reheat: Place 5-6 puffs on a microwaveable plate and heat on high for 60 seconds.