This patriotic party popcorn is a super simple sweet and salty treat that is done in minutes. Perfect for parties or simply to snack on this no bake treat is easy to make, but hard to stop munching once you start. Summer is a time for many things, one of which seems to be family reunions. I firmly believe that there are two types of people in this world, people who love family reunions and people who don’t. I’m terrible at remembering names, awful at small talk, and when I try to do these things I often wind up with foot in mouth syndrome. So I tend to fall into the category of not liking family reunions…we went to one this weekend.
It actually wasn’t a bad family reunion at all. I credit this to 3 key tactics I prepared before we went. 1) I didn’t talk to anyone whose name I wasn’t sure of, so I didn’t offend anyone. 2) I took the card game Apples to Apples with the strategy that I would play games with the kids all afternoon, thereby keeping the children entertained so the adults could talk and also so I wouldn’t have to hear, “I’m bored! What time are we leaving?” And 3) I made a big batch of this patriotic party popcorn because I knew that it would make great game time snacks.I’m happy to say my plan worked out beautifully. This afternoon one of my nieces, who’d spent hours at the kids table playing Apples to Apples with us remarked that we should have family reunions more often, because they were tons of fun. My mother in law noted that based on our raucous laughter the kids had a great time. And my husband’s grandfather cornered me as it was time to clean up and asked me to prepare him a take home baggy of this popcorn because he loved it. Today’s patriotic party popcorn recipe is part of the Yum of the Month challenge. If you don’t remember, or you are new around here, the Yum of the Month challenge is a group of baking bloggers creating recipes once a month around the same theme or ingredient. I was so excited that Michelle chose no bake recipes as our theme this month as I’d been planning on doing something no bake this month anyway. Around this time of year the heat starts getting to me and it’s nice not to turn the oven on.
My patriotic party popcorn is a blast to make. It’s got a great sweet and salty combo, with french vanilla and cherry highlights. Because it’s made entirely in the microwave, this recipe is a great one for kids to help make. They’ll love doing the sprinkles and the candy drizzling. Though I’ve called this patriotic party popcorn (I’m a sucker for alliteration) this recipe would be easy to change into Christmas or Valentine’s colors just by changing out the color of candy jimmies to green or pink. And it’s easy to package up adorably to give as party favors, just put a scoop of popcorn into an old mason jar and tie it with a color coordinating ribbon.
Patriotic Party Popcorn
This no bake candy covered popcorn is a super simple sweet and salty treat that is done in minutes.
- 1 12 ounce bag vanilla baking chips
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1 3.4 ounce box instant French Vanilla pudding mix
- 8 cups plain popped popcorn
- 2 Tablespoons blue candy jimmies
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
- 1/2 cup cherry baking chips
- 1 Tablespoon coconut oil
- Place the bag of vanilla baking chips and 1/4 cup coconut oil in a microwavable bowl. Microwave at 50% power in 30 second increments until the chips are completely melted and smooth.
- Stir the French vanilla pudding mix into the melted vanilla chips.
- In a large bowl combine the popcorn and vanilla mixture, tossing until the popcorn is completely coated.
- Spread the popcorn over a parchment of waxed paper covered baking sheet.
- Sprinkle the candy jimmies and salt evenly over the popcorn while the candy coating is still wet so that it will properly adhere to the popcorn.
- Place the cherry chips and remaining Tablespoon of coconut oil in a small microwaveable dish. Microwave at 50% power at 30 second increments until the chips and oil are melted and smoothly blend together.
- Drizzle the cherry coating over the popcorn.
- Let sit until the candy coating is completely cooled and set.
- Gently break apart the popcorn pieces and stir in an air tight container.
Here are two more beautiful no bake treats from my Yum of the Month co-bakers!
No bake rules supreme in the summer, don’t you think? What’s your favorite summer no bake recipe?